2. The Mimic Octopus can not only change colors, but can mimic the shapes of other animals, like the lion fish, flounder, and sea snakes.
3. In attempt to spy on the Kremlin and Russian embassies, the CIA turned cats into listening devices. They surgically implanted a microphone in a cat’s ear canal, a small radio transmitter at the base of it’s skull ad a thin wire into its fur. The program was called Acoustic Kitty and cost about $20 million.
The first Acoustic Kitty mission was to eavesdrop on two men in a park outside the Soviet compound on Wisconsin Avenue in Washington, D.C. The cat was released nearby, but was hit and killed by a taxi almost immediately. The project was abandoned due to the difficulty of training the cats to behave as required.
4. There are over 200 corpses on Mount Everest. Many bodies have earned nickname and serve ad trail markers. One marker is the body of ‘Green Boots’, an Indian climber that died in 1996 and now serves as a waypoint for climbers to gauge how close they are to the summit.
5. Blockbuster almost bought Netflix in 2000. Back in the day, Netflix offered to sell Blockbuster a 49 percent stake in the company and become its online service, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings recently told the New Yorker. The site would have changed its name to Blockbuster.com.
6. The Tanzanian parasitic wasp is the world’s smallest winged insect. It is smaller than the eye of a housefly.
7. The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from Public Libraries
8. Tennessee was originally known as Franklin; West Virginia was nearly named Kanawha, and Utah almost became the state of Deseret.
9. The tallest tree ever was an Australian eucalyptus – In 1872 it was measured at 435 feet tall.
10. If every star in the Milky Way was a grain of salt they would fill an Olympic sized swimming pool.
11. Even traveling at the speed of light it would take 2 million years to reach the nearest large galaxy, Andromeda.
12. The low frequency call of the humpback whale is the loudest noise made by a living creature.